The Brecknock Society was formed in 1928 and founded the first county museum in the former Glamorgan Street Chapel. In 1951, the management of the museum was transferred to the then Breconshire County Council and a Friends of the Museum was formed.
In 1974 the museum was taken over by Powys County Council and was moved to the present premises in the Shire Hall and old Assize Court building at Captain's Walk. In 1986 the two societies joined forces as the Brecknock Society and Museum Friends.
The Society has as its aim the promotion of the study and understanding of the Archaeology, History, Geology, Natural History, the Arts and Literature of Wales, especially the historic county of Brecknock.
The activities of the Society include:
- assisting the development of the Brecknock Museum and Art Gallery, by purchasing equipment and artefacts, and to lobby on its behalf;
- assisting the preservation of sites of historic importance to the area of Brecknockshire;
- overseeing the Schools History competition and the archive project;
- promoting the biennial Roland Mathias Literary Prize;
- arranging monthly lectures during the winter, including the notable Sir John Lloyd Memorial Lecture;
- organising visits and field trips to historic sites in Brecknock and beyond during the summer;
- publishing our Journal ‘Brycheiniog’
Brecknock Museum and Art Gallery is currently closed for refurbishment and improvements under the y Gaer project for which the Society is a local funding partner. The new facilities are scheduled to reopen in late March / early April 2019.